Friday, August 5, 2016

How To Save Tomato Seeds - Stage 1

      So, today was the day I finally began saving my tomato seeds. I like to start with the biggest mama my garden has given me. There is something truly fulfilling and satisfying about taking a knife to a ridiculously large tomato. A tomato half the size of this lady would serve any purpose one would need from a tomato, but that didn't stop the smile from stretching across my face as the warm yet exhilarating feeling spread from my tomato-filled hand, up my arm, and into my chest.
     Truthfully, there is probably something wrong with me that I get this excited about a tomato.

   Now that I have explained my weird feelings about garden tomatoes, I will go into detail about how to butcher one in order to save its insides, so as to plant more next year! It's a complicated relationship.

Step 1: Pick your victim. Pick a tomato from a plant that has given you tasty tomatoes thus far this season. (Not necessarily the biggest ones!).




 Step 2: Slice it in half LENGTHWISE, as if slicing a globe along its equator, NOT pole to pole.


 Step 3: Spoon out the seeds. You'll get goop and juice along with them. That's okay.


Step 4: Put the seeds (and attached goop) into a jar. Once all the seeds are gathered and in the jar, add a tablespoon or two of water. This will help separate the seeds from the goop as it ferments.





Step 5: Place cling wrap over the jar tightly and poke some holes in it. 

Step 6: Place jar in a warm area. Usually the top of the fridge will do. Just make sure they are away from direct sunlight. Sunlight is fine, just not too direct.

The next steps:

Each night you'll need to give the mix a stir and put the wrap back on. It'll take about 3 nights. Eventually you'll get a scummy looking surface that'll tell you the seeds are ready to take out. I'll be sure to update you on my seeds, so you can get a visual step-by-step! Happy seed saving!

Gourdgeously Good

GourdgeouslyGood@gmail.com
Join our CSA!


No comments:

Post a Comment